Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Ho-Downing It UP

*GASP*
Yeah... planning the Ho-Down at my church recently, I heard all of the jokes. From everyone. "You're going to a Ho-Down... Are you dressing Ho-Downy?" Well - the answer is... OF COURSE WE ARE!!!!!!!!!!! Ho-Downy, Valentine's Day-y - the entire works!
What is a Ho-Down, you ask? Well - that is what I was asking when I first got the email asking me whether I would plan this year's Ho Down from Alison. Of course, I said YES, I would LOVE to plan the Ho Down (especially since I was going to be planning it with Jessica, who is awesome, and Alison herself) - after all, events planning is one of my favourite things to do.

A "Ho-Down" or, to be specific, a "Sweetheart's Valentine's Day Ho Down" is a Western/Country themed Square Dance party. That RIGHT, I said Square Dance; with a professional square dance caller and everything. He teaches everyone how to square dance in groups of eight. Very fun looking... although I only did get to try it once!We rallied our Youth group together, dressed in our best country western clothes (although, I have only ever had to dress country once, which was for O week and all of my o week stuff is in Burlington), did some amazing set-up and decoration (Including strategically placing hay around the room... and might I add, I grew up in the city and have never carried hay around before.... and I learned that I really dislike delegating to people who are older than me!!!)
We took some awesome pictures... made some announcements... picked some best dressed winners... It was a BLAST and the Youth raised a lot of money (it was a youth fundraiser after all) - but we are going to have enough money for a bus to Winterfest in a couple of weeks. That is very exciting, it is going to cut the cost for everyone!
And even Super Skittles came (aka Samantha Marie)! Even though she was reallllllllllllllllllly late!!!! And she brought this guy, named Ian - who I think that I am going to be having some religious debates with in the future (just a feeling).... I think so... *nods head*.
And, just for the record... coming into Square Dancing during the third segment... when everyone else already knows what they are doing... I wouldn't recommend it. Good thing we were with an understanding crowd.
The moral of the story? If you EVER have the chance to go to a Ho Down, ESPECIALLY at our church... or on Valentine's day... and MOST especially if it is a Youth fundraiser... and if it is all for goooood fun... i strongly recommend doing it! AND if you ever get asked to plan one... go for it. It will be an experience. And you only live once!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I came...I really do... I was listening to save a horse ride a cowboy this morning and thought of you...that might have been a good ho down song i think...but im not sure since i've never been to one. Maybe i'll have a ho down party one night...and you can help plan it! YAY! COME SEE ME!

Dave Carrol said...

it's been some time since I'll hoed down

Anonymous said...

oh the ho-down it was deffinatly a lot of fun...hey next year maby erin shouldn't be in charge of counting the 50-50 money or at least have someone check it before we anounce it to the entire room. the room looked great and everyone seemed to have fun even if they didn't end up with their right partners (LOL) but it was awsome... great food, great fun ... but now its all done
ness

cruz_17 said...

see, that was appropriate use of the word "partner" vanessa, good job

Anonymous said...

didn't even relize i did that LOL
good for me