Monday, March 19, 2007

Too busy for Revolution? WhatEVER!

“People are too busy to organize a revolution!”
This is a quote from one of my professors. In context, he was absolutely right – we were talking Marx (who is totally my hero, by the way. Not really, but I like to tell people that) and about how the majority is controlled in society by the minority and all the minority really has to do to change things is to SPEAK OUT and DO SOMETHING about what they do not agree with and about the ways that they are being exploited. This is a valid point.
And it is SO true. People today do think that they are too busy to do anything. People do not have the time that they need to accomplish what they really want to accomplish. People are “too busy” or “don’t have time” to stand up and fight for what they believe in. There are degrees to this: some people make time for certain things that are important while others make time for nothing and allow “the system” so to speak, or whatever system of choice, walk all over them and never do anything to stop it.
And it’s a shame. In Canada especially, we are given so many freedoms and so many rights, but no one ever uses them. It sucks. People need to take a stand more often for what they believe in. Maybe when people all over the place begin using what they have, especially their rights and freedoms, all of the time, it is not going to be such a big deal when one person does it.
So… what is this revolution thing that I am talking about? By definition, a revolution is a radical and pervasive change in society and the social structure or can also be view/defined as a sudden or momentous change in a situation (dictionary.com). What does this mean? It means that eventually, Canadians are going to have to rise and STAND against injustices that are present, not only in OUR society, but in this world. There are many ways that we can take a stand, but the first thing that we have to do is TAKE ACTION. I don’t want to be referred to someone who is “all talk” and someone who takes no action for the things that she says. I hope that someone will hold me accountable for taking action. And the next time I hear someone complaining about something that they feel isn’t right in society, I am going to gently ask them what they are going to do about it. We need to “dance upon injustice” as one of the songs states. I want to be a “dancer”, who “dances” upon injustice, don’t you? That would be amazing. That is a life time aspiration for me, and it always has been.
I certainly do not want to be too busy to organize a revolution. I was a revolution or a revival or revelations, or whatever I can get. I don’t want to be stuck living in a world that is the way that this world is all of the time. It’s not really that good of a place sometimes. Some days you can look at it and agree that it is decent; it’s all right. Some days, I would like to think that I am not even a part of anything that is going on around me. There are always positives and negatives. But I definitely want to live in a society of positives, so I want a revolution – I want those negatives to be abolished and those positives to be emphasized. But the only way that this is ever going to get done is if we stop our busy lives and DO SOMETHING – stand, fight, take action!

3 comments:

La luce che to dai said...

Blah blah blah...if people have time for "useless" things like blogging, msn, and keggers, then they bloody well have time to start a revolution. I'm so sick of people talking about things they'd like to do to help, if only, if only....
Wah wah wah. Stop crying about the state of the world people! Do something about it.
Don't just talk about one day donating to charity...do it.
If you are too afraid of needles, or can't donate due to your health, volunteer at the blood clinic instead. www.bloodservices.ca/
If you can't afford an extra thing or two on your grocery bill to drop off at the Food bank, volunteer on campus. laurierbrantfordfoodshare@hotmail.com
Donate time, money, or treat a friend out to a gala fundraiser.
http://www.project-empathy.org/events/gala.html
Everyone has one hour a week that they spend watching tv or surfing useless websites or whatever that they can donate to making a small difference.
Give your extra change to the next homeless guy who asks.
Buy a fellow student a coffee/hot chocolate/whatever.
One person can make a difference.
End of rant.

So Erin, you still up for starting a revolution? I think I just psyched myself up for one.

Anonymous said...

Oh how very true all of this is! I agree and i am guilty of being part 'i don't have time to do such and such...' we do need to take a stand!! Here and now
Take care and talk to you later
Kyla

melanie said...

agreed...def. truth in that...inspiring article:)...& sometimes all it takes is a little encouragment to stir up the passion within us to make change happen!